Saturday, July 5, 2014

Review: To All The Boys I've Loved Before

To All The Boys I've Loved Before
Jenny Han

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.



My Rating: 4.5/5

Quotes:
“Love is scary: it changes; it can go away. That's the part of the risk. I don't want to be scared anymore.”

“When someone's been gone a long time, at first you save up all the things you want to tell them. You try to keep track of everything in your head. But it's like trying to hold on to a fistful of sand: all the little bits slip out of your hands, and then you're just clutching air and grit.”

“If love is like a possession, maybe my letter are like my exorcisms”

My Thoughts:

 I really loved the family dynamics in this book. The Song girls were just so real. Lara Jean’s development throughout the book as she was really figuring out what love is, not just on a romantic level but with family and friends was great. I also liked how Jenny Dan didn't let the “mean ex-girlfriend” part take over the whole story because that would have just made the whole this a huge cliché. Instead she mixed the little bit of high school drama that everyone craves into a wonderful story about the bonds between sisters and family, and finding out what love really is.

And I liked the progression of Lara Jean and her love interest's relationship. It was in no way insta-love. It was real and believable and in the beginning they could barely stand each other but over time they really got to know one another and they started developing feelings for one another and it was just too cute.

And can we talk about Kitty (Lara Jean's younger sister)? I think she might have been my favorite character in the story. She was just so cute and little bit mature at the same time. I loved how she always brought the best out of everyone around her and those scenes with her and the guys just melted my heart- they were too cute. And she also provided some very well placed comic relief. She didn't even have to try to be funny its just her mannerisms and how she goes about herself that’s so funny. 

Then there is Josh. At the beginning of the story I really liked him, I liked how he was such good friends with the whole Song family not just Margot. And that isn't to say I hated him by the end of the story but he definitely hit a few road bumps along the way.

And speaking of hitting a few road bumps along the way, I didn't quite understand the dynamic between Peter and Gen. We were told a couple times that he went back to her, and he said it was because “she just understands him” but I seriously don’t get what exactly they were doing. It wasn't made clear whether they were hooking up of if they were just talking.

The only down point of this book is that the end of the book was just too abrupt for me. When I realized I had reached the last page I was a tad upset because I was expecting a bit more resolution about certain topics. 

In all I actually really enjoyed this book. I gave it a four and a half out of five stars because the ending just wasn't enough for me but otherwise this is such a good contemporary novel about relationships – those that are romantic and those between family.

1 comment:

  1. I don't read a lot of contemporaries but I'm Always looking out for a good one. I like the sound of it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Want to make my day? Then leave a comment. I love meeting new people! Feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will check it out as soon as I can.